Thursday, March 11, 2010

The News is In

We were unable to listen in to the conference call on both days. It was driving me crazy to not know what this "big" change was. I decided to look on someone elses blog and this is what I found. I am taking these words directly from another person's blog.

"We now must travel to Ethiopia twice. Yes. Two trips. There have been families that traveled to Ethiopia to pick up their child and then basically revoked their contract and wound up not adopting the kiddo. Can you believe that?! I don't see how anyone could do that... Anyway, this new policy is to help that to not happen.

How it worked before: You get a referral. You have a Power of Attorney who signs your adoption contract for you in Ethiopia when you accept your referral. Your case goes to court. After you pass court, travel arrangements are made and you go to Ethiopia and finally meet your child and bring him home.

How it will work now (or so we think so far): You get a referral. 2-3 weeks later you travel to Ethiopia and meet your child. You sign your adoption contract in person while in Ethiopia. You come home for about 8-12 weeks. During this time your case goes to court. After you pass court you travel just as you did before. "

This definitely adds to the amount of time from referral to homecoming. This also adds to the cost of adoption. Jason and I have begun to think about the best way to handle this. We are trusting God, and wil continue to keep this in His hands. There is nothing we can do to change this, so why worry. My only fear that I need to give to God is "How will I meet our peanut, and leave him in Africa?"

1 comment:

  1. Seriously? How do you get to see the lil guy and then leave him there for a few months? I think it will be hard for his aunt to see pics of him and not be able to snuggle with him him right away!

    ReplyDelete